Sunday, March 24, 2013

Narcissism and Nostalgia

Tonight, my neighors were engaging in some pre bedtime intercourse, keeping me from acquiring rest as i was attempting to take it. i decided to google myself.  My old college address & phone number showed up as well as my old myspace page. how interesting it was when i found this gem: 


"Wow. I just got done trying to teach Kwasi how to play speed. I can't believe he didn't even play speed in high school.   The games these kids (and adults) play up here are so different. They play dominos not to count but to "go out." They don't play gin to count points, but to get out the fastest, and they don't play SPEED in high school? What kind of business is going on in Yankeeville?   But while teaching him the game, it just brought back a flood of memories of Magill's debate class, Mrs. Hof-whatzherface's math class, Mr. Bolger's math class, debate tournaments where there was no excuse as to why a day would pass when you WOULDN'T play speed.   I had forgotten how i used to be able to stack a whole five cards at a time and win in like no time flat! And how the people I used to play with got sooo good we used to play with two decks of cards. I had also forgotten that i was such a nerd, i always had a deck of cards in my backpack for just the purpose of a game of speed (or spades) and how i had used that deck till the box had fallen apart and i took some masking tape in Magill's room and taped it up and colored it... WOW. such memories. Reminds me of how much a nerd I was (and still am)...   But I used to love speed. It was a game of chance, talent, and such a game for bonding. I know many of my friends on here were made during Magill's class or some other class when I wasn't doing very much and had time to play several many hands of Speed.     I even taught my brother how to play when he was a little tike... I wonder if he remembers. I'll have to ask him.   I can't believe this loser here next to me never played speed (the right way with cards face down) and got frustrated when i taught him how to really play. OH well, like they say, DAMN these YANKS.   Anyway. Just remembering... Night y'all."

No comments:

Post a Comment