Sunday, January 30, 2011

Feeling a little cold/ flu coming on?

This post is dedicated to my sister in curls and Christ who is now, praise Jesus, with child, but is sickly with a cold. Being with baby can already be a miserable start up as in the case with C- my baby- y'all he almost took me OUT! But, there is hope, you don't have to suffer through the headaches, chest congestion, weariness, etc due to a cold. Say thank you Lord for natural remedies, baby bean safe.

Being the google queen I am, I found a host of natural cold remedies, but make sure you run anything you take- baby or otherwise- by your licensed professional.

COLD REMEDIES:
Cold remedies during pregnancy could include the consumption of garlic or ginseng or capsules with their extracts. Drinking plenty of fluids such as lemon juice and honey in warm water and hot soups will help relieve some of the symptoms like a sore throat. Gargling with salt water also helps ease the pain in the throat. Drinking hot ginger tea and warm milk with turmeric are also natural remedies that can be safely used by pregnant women.

COUGH:
Coughs, colds, and fevers may make the mother feel miserable and wear out her body, but they will not affect the baby. Even severe bouts of coughing will not harm the baby, so the mother does not have to hunt for cold remedies during pregnancy if she can manage the symptoms with sufficient rest and a healthy diet. It is best to keep the fever under control with medication, as indicated by the doctor.

CONGESTION/ STOPPED UP NASAL PASSAGES:
Herbal teas, mentholated lozenges, capsules of echinacea, and combination supplements of vitamins and micronutrients are all considered to b e suitable cold remedies during pregnancy. Vitamin C is considered a natural antihistamine as it helps to reduce the secretion of mucus and clears the sinuses. Aromatherapy oils such as peppermint, lavender, and elder flower can be used to alleviate nasal congestion.


The slightly sluggish immune system and enlarged mucus membranes during pregnancy sometimes make it difficult to get over a cold quickly. During pregnancy cold remedies should be chosen carefully. The one cardinal rule with cold remedies when pregnant (as with any other illness) is DO NOT self medicate - not even with over the counter medication that you're otherwise used to taking. Always, always check with your physician or gynaecologist before taking any cold remedies while pregnant at all as it may affect the foetus.


Finally, remember that prevention is better than cure; cold remedies are not as effective as taking some precautionary measures. Colds spread through contact, so your best bet is to keep away from people who are infected. Women who are most at risk are school teachers and health care workers. If you belong to these professions, keep in mind simple rules of hygiene such as washing your hands frequently and especially after handling an individual with a contagious infection. If any cold remedies do not work for over a week, do consult your doctor to rule out allergies, sinusitis, bronchial infections etc.

Thanks to http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com I found these natural products to help you get over a cold pregnant or otherwise. If you're anything like me, I hate taking strange chemical compounds to alleviate ailments I may have.

My go to cold treatment is an elderberry coctail. Elderberry tabs with zinc and vitamin C. A little echinacea and lavender to help open my sinuses. My mamma told me to put some tea tree oil on my forehead and scalp to alleviae headaches.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

1 comment:

  1. I’ve tried all sorts of coughing syrups, believe me, but none of them helps. Even though Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa www.geocities.jp/ninjiom_hong_kong/index_e.htm does not eliminates the cough I like to stick to this chinese syrup I’ve been taking since I was a kid: Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa. My grandfather is chinese, so I guess my mom got the advice from him. I was really surprised when I found that chinese market selling it here in Belgium. It does have a refreshing, soothing, sweetening effect…as long as it lasts…then back to coughing mode.

    ReplyDelete